Author Book Planner for self-publishers who want to author the best book possible.
Author Book Planner: we have tips for you! Make your plan today for your book. Read about suggestions and tips to assemble materials.
Many new authors can benefit from these suggestions. Since you are at Star Print Brokers, you know we specialize in the finest photography books, coffee table books, and process color books of any kind. We have all those great, custom options that creative people love so much. But, where to begin … begin here, as an author book planner …
An organized author book planner begins with all materials being brought together in a structured plan that makes sense.
Note: This is just one method. If you have another vision as to how you wish to work, we are quite flexible. We simply ask that the material is organized in some sensible way before handing off edited copy.
Putting your skills as an Author Book Planner to the test
Consider writing your table of contents as a guide, or keep it in mind as you are gathering text and images.
- Photos and any other images should be in CMYK to print on press, not RGB.
- Size the images at the size they will appear in the book. The resolution must be 300 ppi or greater.
- Use TIFs as JPGs can lose resolution, but JPG images are acceptable.
- If images bleed, include 0.125″ or 3 mm of bleed on all four sides. A full page image that trims to 10″ X 8″ will need to be sized to 10.25″ X 8.25″. If designing your book, it is set-up in Document > Setup.
Provide a list of captions in a Word document or email. It should be clear which caption goes with which photo.
- Provide a Word document. Use the corresponding page number, chapter, or section.
- We need your ISBN number and Library of Congress information for the copyright page. Since this usually takes awhile, do it sooner rather than later. Find links under our resources page.
Order of Pages
- Includes the title page to start. It is a right hand page.
- Copyright page: We need the text including the copyright year and notice, ISBN, where the book is printed, authors, publisher, contact information with website, Library of Congress, etc. Left hand page.
- Acknowledgment, if any. This can also go in the back of the book. Right hand page.
- Blank left hand page.
- Table of Contents. Right hand page.
- Foreword, if any. Right hand page.
- Preface, if any. Right hand page.
The text of the book
- First page. Use an introduction or start with chapter 1. Right hand page, numbered as page 1.
- New sections or chapters can start on right or left hand pages. We prefer right.
- Bibliography or references. Starts on a right hand page.
- We need your ISBN and barcode. Get your ISBN first. Then buy the barcode and forward to us in an email. They will also want to know what price the book. You can leave the price off, but many bookstores will not accept it without the price in the barcode.
- Make a binder or put the elements in a folder on your computer. A physical binder is not necessary, but a helpful aid in planning the page sequence.
By now, you are an expert as an author book planner.
If you want to polish your writing or proofreading, try the free version of Grammarly. A great author book planner will proofread their work.