Book printing press and binding for top-quality
Book printing press production. There is nothing like the beauty and quality of a masterfully printed and well-bound book.
Book printing press manufacturing will print high-quality coffee table books. A hardcover POD (print on-demand) book that is digitally output is inferior to any high-quality book printing press production. Quality books are printed by skilled press operators. What Star Print Brokers does differently?
Book printing press production versus print on-demand. POD books are digitally output using toner, not ink on press.
Book printing press manufacturing by Star Print Brokers means we print books in signatures on sheet-fed offset printing presses; not POD.
About Hardcover books.
- Text page printing in signatures: When we print on sheet-fed press. The pages print on large sheets, usually 8 or 16 pages to a sheet. The sheet is then folded to make a booklet. We call it a signature. All the signatures are bound together. They can be glued for an inexpensive or small page count book. Most often, Star Print Brokers will see to it that the signatures are Smyth sewn. Authors have choices when they use our book printing press manufacturing services.
- No web press printing: Web presses use large rolls of paper and print direct mail, magazines and newspapers. They are not the capable of the high-quality printing done on sheet-fed presses that can print in signatures. Of course, having highly experiences press person makes the difference between success and mediocre results.
- Smear: No ink smearing! The ink soaks onto the paper as it should with fine quality printing. On fine-quality, we advise adding a spot or flood varnish.
- Endpapers match: Beautifully matched endpapers. These are the sheets that a glued to the inside front and back covers. They are twice the width of the page size of the book, so if a text page is 8″ wide x 10″ tall, the ends would be 16″ x 10″. If you have a design that runs the entire width, there is no problem matching the design elements.
- Binding choices: There are more choices when authors use our book printing press manufacturing services. Square back books, rounded, lay-flat hard case binding … binding choices include hard case binding with square back or round back, lay-flat or not.
More on Hardcover books.
- Custom sizes: All books are from our custom manufacturing services, so you are not limited to a particular size when we print on press.
- Cover wrap: This is the material that wraps around and glues to the boards of a book, and don’t confuse cover wrap with dust jackets. We offer a variety of materials, colors and textures. We can even bind with suede or bonded leather.
- Foil stamp: They come in a variety of metallic colors, colors, and finishes. The foil stamp on the spine is the same as the typeface for the title.
- Dust jackets and French fold dust jackets: We can print a regular dust jacket in several paper weights. They can be print on gloss or matte with either gloss, matte, or soft touch lamination. We can emboss (raise) the title or any part of the cover. After applying a matte lamination, we can over print a gloss spot UV or Silk UV varnish. These are extras and not in a quote, so you will need to tell us what you want.
Hardcover books printing on offset presses.
- French flaps on a soft cover book: One flap or two? How wide would you like the flap(s)?
- Embellishments: Add a full-color tip-on image or title to a deboss area on the cover. Add a ribbon marker, which is available in varying widths and colors. Add metal corners. We can make a bumper box, especially for your book size. One client cleverly prints the stock for the box in the same patterns as on the books’ endpapers.
- Custom cartons: All cartons are custom made. We don’t have sizes “A,” “B” or “C” that we pull off the shelf, and we limit the weight of the cartons to 40 lbs.
- We stand behind our work – Offset book printing presses and binding.
Books printed on-demand – a few books at a time; most often output to a digital output device, not offset book printing presses and binding.
- Text page output: Pages are output one at a time and are then is side-sewn.
- Smear: Wipe a moist finger across the page. You will find that it smears, and that is because toner is sitting on top of the paper. Ink won’t so that.
- Endpapers mismatched: POD ends from a digitally output book won’t match up. If a text page is 8″ wide x 10″ tall, the ends would also be 8″ x 10″. Looking at the inside front cover for example, one page will paste to the inside cover, and the other page gets bound withe the text pages.
- Binding choices: Limited.
- Predetermined sizes: Limited by size, as most digital providers offer one choice.
More on books printed on-demand.
- Foil stamp: The foil stamp on the spine is usually block letters, but not in your typeface for the title. Digital providers do not offer many foils.
- Cover wrap: You get what you get. The choices are limited.
- Dust jacket: Limited choice of paper weights and finishes. Often a coating is printed on, but it’s not as durable as laminate. There are no extra UV, Silk UV, spot or flood varnishes.
- Embellishments: It depends on the provider, but no one has all the SPB custom options.
- Cartons: Basic sizes, not custom manufactured.
- Ask the digital vendor if they stand behind their work.
Self-publishers have many more choices when they chose to use our book printing press manufacturing services. Call (844) 603-1777 toll-free, or (425) 603-1777 in Seattle. Request a quote! When it comes time to transfer your book to us, use our FTP or DropBox.