The guide to make and send InDesign files to us, your printer.
Send InDesign file to printer! Occasionally, we do need the InDesign file, but theses days it is rare. PDFs have improved greatly over the years, so we even print the finest books from the PDFs instead if Adobe InDesign files. However, if we must have the native files, here is what we need you to do …
Helpful Hint: When you first set-up a book file in InDesign, make sure that you check “Facing Pages.” You can find it by going to File > Document Setup.
Send your files to Star Print Brokers.
Send InDesign file to printer, Star Print Brokers, but first read this. Before you send InDesign file to printer, please see the Prepress Guide and Make PDF Files to make sure you prepare them properly. Most of the time we print using PDFs. Sometimes the InDesign files are necessary. That is the exception.
Package files for prepress and send InDesign file to printer.
You need to Files need to package files in InDesign, or collect in Quark. The commands will gather images and fonts used in the file. Images and fonts will automatically be put in a separate folder when using these commands.
The inks in the swatch palette are CMYK, process color. They should not be spot, unless you are adding a specific PMS ink that cannot be built-in a CMYK screen build. There are four inks in process color. They are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. If you add a spot ink, it adds a fifth color to the press. That increases the cost.
Metallic ink will also add another ink to the press. Metallic colors can print or have a foil stamp. Please discuss the vision of your book with us. We can make suggestions to trim a budget, or provide almost any embellishment! The following is a list to read when you are ready to send InDesign file to printer.
Here is your Check List. We want to ensure that files are prepared properly when you send InDesign file to Printer. To be clear, we only need the PDFs.
- Collect all images in a folder before creating the document.
- Use the File > Place command to insert images into the document. Do not embed images.
- If any image bleeds off the page, allow 1/8 inch (0.125 inch), or 3 mm.
- The bleed is added in File > Document Setup, then Bleed and Slug. Add 0.125″ or 3 mm to the four boxes in bleed.
- If the images have large dimensions or high-resolution, you may break the book into chapters or smaller groups of pages.
- Double check page numbering, especially if you move chapters.
- Books always start with page 1 or Roman numeral ‘i’ in the front matter. Page 1 is always a right-hand page. All the right-hand pages have odd-numbers, and the left-hand pages have even-numbers.
What else to send, and how to send InDesign file to printer, Star Print Brokers:
- The PDFs or optionally, the files may be on CDs or a DVD, in InDesign or even Quark. You can also place the zipped files on our FTP site, or upload to DropBox. Contact us for FTP info and password or email address. If sending files, please package the files using File > Package. That way, we will have the native file, font folder, and image folder. Create one folder for each file. When you send InDesign file to printer, the text pages should be in a folder, and the cover in a second folder.
- Print-outs (optional). Include one set with color as you wish to appear in your book. This is not needed for a novel without color, but is necessary if color is critical.
- Let us know what software, version and platform was used to create the files; InDesign, etc., the version; CS6, CC7, CC, etc., and whether you are using Mac or PC. You can include the optional Submission Form. It is a good idea to review it if troubleshooting your files. We will contact you with any questions.
About proofs and proof approval.
- Book Proof Approval form
After you send InDesign file to printer, Star Print Brokers, you will receive physical, full color, proofs. You will sign-off on the proofs as accepted to proceed with printing, or make changes. Use the book proof approval form. We also include it with the proof set and / or email. You may email it back to us, or fax it to (425) 603-0859.
- About the Proofs
The set of physical digital proofs is for approval of approximate color and book pagination. While we accept corrections for typographical errors, we expect that the proofing and editing is completed before you give us the files. These are printing proofs, not graphic design or editing proofs.
Call (844) 603-1777 toll-free, or (425) 603-1777. On this subject … “send InDesign file to printer” … let us know if you need anything else. See our Prepress Guide or Contact us.